JOB LISTING | DEXTER, MI
Cornman Farms Full-Time Event Staff
8540 Island Lake Rd
Dexter, MI, USA 48130
Full Time Regular
About Zingerman’s Cornman Farms
Zingerman’s Cornman Farms is a multi-award winning and nationally renowned wedding venue and culinary destination. Cornman Farms hosts effortlessly elegant events tailored to each and every guest. Our unparalleled service, bespoke experiences, and meticulous attention to the smallest details create unforgettable moments for life’s most important occasions. We make the farm feel like home—a place that adds foundation to memories and provides a cornerstone to come back to.
2021 is going to look different than years past. Events are going to be smaller. Masks will be worn. We will be social distancing. And yet 2021 & beyond will still bring happy couples coming to us for one of the most important days of their lives. Read about our current COVID precautions HERE.
We are looking for a passionate, extremely focused individual with a strong work ethic who wants to become an integral member of the Cornman Farms Team. This individual will be responsible for planning all kinds of perfect events.
- Do you want to be a part of high-end weddings and other events?
- Do you have a passion for providing excellent service to guests?
- Do you have a flexible schedule and can work as late as 2 a.m.?
If you answered yes to these, you should apply to be a part of our team!
This support position (which we call Event Porter) are responsible for delivery of the Cornman Farms experience to all guests. This is a great opportunity for someone that is willing to do whatever needs to get done, and really enjoys working with people AND standard operating procedures!
This role focuses on setting up and taking down equipment for events. This includes dishwashing, moving and setting up tables & chairs, helping the setup and breakdown of our events in the tent, farmhouse, and barn, cleaning and helping with inventory, and assisting with the overall appearance of the grounds.
Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays are the biggest event day of the week and will be booked nearly every week through November with small weddings.
Full time, Hourly. Days and Nights, Weekends, Flexible Hours Required
$14 per hour.
Porters are eligible to participate in the Cornman Farms hourly tip pool along with producers, concierges, grounds and administrative assistants.
Managing Partner(s) and Porter Coach(es)
- Dishwashing using automatic dishwashing machine and 3 compartment sink
- Assisting with managing inventory of all rental items – including storage, distribution, and cleaning
- Sweeps and mops floors. Cleaning of Property inside and out
- Moving rental items around property safely
- Demonstrates proper handling of food service equipment
- Demonstrates proper handling and storage of cleaning equipment
- Works with the team to ensure the property is “Guest ready” and is “Close ready”
- Works in the garden and on the grounds
- Maintains a safe and sanitary work environment, as well as ensuring specifications are met for health inspections
- Identifies and assists in resolving any issues that might occur during events
- Adheres to the highest standards of service while assisting with all areas of event operations
- Conducts all business in accordance with Zingerman’s Guiding Principles
- Demonstrates a commitment to the success of the business and team members
- Reports to work on time and is ready to work at the start of each shift
- Follows proper procedure for sick calls and schedule requests
- Creates, follows and improves Standard Operating Procedures
- Gives exceptional service to all customers at our events
- Responds quickly to requests from guests, co-workers, supervisors and managers while being accurate, polite and enthusiastic
- Maintains a professional image at all times through actions and appearance
- Maintains a safe and sanitary work environment
- Attends and participates in huddles (meetings) as required or needed
The Success Patterns for this position are:
- Experience working in food service or events is a plus
- Ability to work weekends and holidays
- Has a flexible schedule with an ability to work shifts on an on-call basis
- Able to work in all weather conditions (rain, snow, etc.)
- Has reliable transportation to and from work
- Must have high levels of mobility, flexibility, dexterity, coordination and energy
- Must be able to do the essential functions of the job for long periods of time and work under heavy stress during busy times
- Must be able to bend, stoop, and navigate a variety of terrain on the property
- Must be able to lift at least 50 lbs.
Successful Candidates will have the following Personal Characteristics
- Has excellent communication skills
- Ability to thrive in a physically demanding, fast-paced environment.
- Ability to set and meet priorities.
- Ability to effectively manage emotions in the workplace
- Ability to accept constructive criticism regarding job performance.
- Excellent attendance and punctuality
- Has a reputation for maintaining excellent relations with all levels of staff
- Is able to follow directions in the moment, under time pressure, with a smile
- Demonstrated ability to understand organized systems and work in an organized workspace
One of the best things about working at Corman Farms is the community. You work with some of the most amazing people you will ever meet and learn so much while doing so. It is also one of the most beautiful event spaces I have ever been to.Current kitchen porter
MANAGING PARTNERS KIERON HALES & TABITHA MASON WROTE THIS PICTURE OF SUCCESS IN 2017. WE SHARE IT HERE TO GIVE YOU A GLIMPSE INTO WHO WE ARE AND WHAT IS IMPORTANT TO US.
“The sun is shining and the air is crisp – a beautiful day at Cornman Farms. It has been over 10 years now since the first event was held at the farm. We relish our decade of memories, recalling the joy and wonder our many guests and employees have experienced: First taking in our manicured lawn and lovingly restored red barn (so welcoming against the green farm backdrop), smelling the rich soil as it’s tilled in preparation for planting season, reveling in the peals of laughter from generations of family playing lawn games together, the wonder of the first time really feeling the heft of a ripe heirloom tomato or the wooly caress of a sheep.
It’s this poetry of the senses that first communicates we are different (real!) and the delight of this discovery is immediate and intense. To us, this is part of providing the Zingerman’s experience. Our connection with our guests extend beyond the event or the day itself. We are a part of the memories being made and they have become part of our family and we part of theirs.
Employees, Partners and guests alike respect the roots that have been here for decades and we are all thrilled to be able to plant our own. Coming to Cornman Farms is like coming home.”