JOB LISTING | DEXTER, MI
Cornman Farms Kitchen Prep Cook
8540 Island Lake Rd
Dexter, MI, USA 48130
Full Time Regular
About Zingerman’s Cornman Farms
Zingerman’s Cornman Farms is a multi-award winning and nationally renowned wedding venue and culinary destination. Cornman Farms hosts effortlessly elegant events tailored to each and every guest. Our unparalleled service, bespoke experiences, and meticulous attention to the smallest details create unforgettable moments for life’s most important occasions. We make the farm feel like home—a place that adds foundation to memories and provides a cornerstone to come back to.
2021 is going to look different than years past. Events are going to be smaller. Masks will be worn. We will be social distancing. And yet 2021 & beyond will still bring happy couples coming to us for one of the most important days of their lives. Read about our current COVID precautions HERE.
We are looking for a passionate, extremely focused individual with a strong work ethic who wants to become an integral member of the Cornman Farms Team. This individual will be responsible for planning all kinds of perfect events.
- Do you feel passionate about cooking?
- Do you enjoy working effectively as part of a team?
- Do you take pride in being consistent and following recipes?
- Do you love to learn and take direction with a smile?
If you answered yes to all of these questions, keep reading! This just might be the job for you!
Kitchen porters aka prep cooks are responsible for delivery of the Cornman Farms experience to all guests through cleaning, food prep and plating. This is a great opportunity for someone that is willing to do whatever needs to get done, and really enjoys working with food and people!
Thursdays, Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays are the biggest event days of the week and could be required nearly every week. Mid-week availability for small events and prep work is also needed.
Full time (30-40 hours a week). Weekends and flexible schedule required.
$15 per hour.
The main role of this position is to assist with the food preparation and plating for all Cornman Farms catering events, including:
- Preparing menu items to meet quality, portion and time standards
- Timely and accurate completion of prep list including stocking, rotating and clean-up
- Working effectively and efficiently under extremely stressful conditions, as well as when things are calm
- Being comfortable following established systems or solving problems on the fly, depending on the situation
- Paying close attention to detail and recipes
- Plating appetizers, first courses, entrees and desserts to Chef Kieron’s specifications
- Dishwashing using automatic dishwashing machine and 3 compartment sink
- Mopping and sweeping floors in all event spaces before and after events
- Ensures that all rentals (plates, glassware, furniture, flatware, etc) are clean and properly stored
- Giving exceptional service to all customers at our events
- Responding quickly to requests from guests, co-workers and managers while being accurate, polite and enthusiastic
- Maintaining a professional image at all times through actions and appearance
- Cleaning and maintaining a safe and sanitary work environment
- Demonstrating proper handling of food service equipment
- Demonstrating proper handling and storage of cleaning equipment
- Identifying and working to resolve any issues that might occur during events
- Adhering to the highest standards of service while assisting with all areas of eventoperations
- Conducting all business in accordance with Zingerman’s Guiding Principles
- Demonstrating a commitment to the success of the business and team members
- Acting as a process engineer by following, improving and creating SOP’s.**
- Reporting to work on time and is ready to work at the start of each shift
- Following proper procedure for sick calls and schedule requests
The Success Patterns for this position are:
- Experience working in food service or events is a plus
- Ability to work weekends and holidays
- Has a flexible schedule with an ability to work shifts on a variable basis
- Is able to follow directions in the moment, under time pressure, with a smile
- Demonstrated ability to understand organized systems and work in an organized workspace
- Can work long shifts that require standing/walking/bending throughout shift
- Has excellent communication skills
- Ability to thrive in a physically demanding, fast-paced environment.
- Ability to effectively manage their emotions in the workplace.
- Ability to accept constructive criticism regarding job performance.
- Excellent attendance and punctuality
- Has reliable transportation to and from work
- Stooping, Kneeling, and Crouching: Bending body downward and forward by bending spine at the waist, requiring full use of the lower extremities and back muscles
- Handling: Seizing, holding, grasping, turning, or otherwise working with hand or hands.
- Reaching: Extending hand(s) and arm(s) in any direction
- Near Vision: Clarity of vision at 20 inches or less
- Lifting: Raising or lowering an object, at least 50 lbs, from one level to another (includes upward pulling)
- Carrying: Transporting an object, up to 65 lbs, usually holding it in the hands or arms, or on the shoulder
- Standing: Remaining on one’s feet in an upright position at a workstation without moving about for an extended period of time
- Feeling: Perceiving attributes of objects, such as size, shape, temperature, or texture, by touching with skin, particularly that of fingertips
Successful Candidates will have the following Personal Characteristics
- Passionate about great food and great service
- Self-motivated and remains calm, especially under pressure
- High level of integrity and honesty
- Strong organizational skills
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Ability to work independently and as a member of a team
- Flexible and hardworking
- Energetic and Enthusiastic
- Committed to their own professional and personal development
- Desire to constantly learn and be challenged
- Systems-driven, excited about continuous improvement and waste elimination
- Not afraid to get dirty and work hard
One of the best things about working at Corman Farms is the community. You work with some of the most amazing people you will ever meet and learn so much while doing so. It is also one of the most beautiful event spaces I have ever been to.Current kitchen porter
MANAGING PARTNERS KIERON HALES & TABITHA MASON WROTE THIS PICTURE OF SUCCESS IN 2017. WE SHARE IT HERE TO GIVE YOU A GLIMPSE INTO WHO WE ARE AND WHAT IS IMPORTANT TO US.
“The sun is shining and the air is crisp – a beautiful day at Cornman Farms. It has been over 10 years now since the first event was held at the farm. We relish our decade of memories, recalling the joy and wonder our many guests and employees have experienced: First taking in our manicured lawn and lovingly restored red barn (so welcoming against the green farm backdrop), smelling the rich soil as it’s tilled in preparation for planting season, reveling in the peals of laughter from generations of family playing lawn games together, the wonder of the first time really feeling the heft of a ripe heirloom tomato or the wooly caress of a sheep.
It’s this poetry of the senses that first communicates we are different (real!) and the delight of this discovery is immediate and intense. To us, this is part of providing the Zingerman’s experience. Our connection with our guests extend beyond the event or the day itself. We are a part of the memories being made and they have become part of our family and we part of theirs.
Employees, Partners and guests alike respect the roots that have been here for decades and we are all thrilled to be able to plant our own. Coming to Cornman Farms is like coming home.”