Homemade pasta is a fun, easy activity that the whole family can participate in. This is one of my favorite ways to engage my boys, Henry and Owen, in the kitchen – I say we might as well make a mess in the kitchen together than let them make a mess around the house with their toys! To watch Chef Kieron’s video tutorial of how to make your dough, click here.
Try your hand at this simple pasta dough with a special ingredient, saffron!
Follow along with Chef Kieron’s video tutorial of this recipe:
- 1/4 cup (80g) water
- 1 pinch (.4g) saffron
- 3 1/4 cup (500g) OO pasta flour
- 2 egg yolks (40g)
- 3 whole eggs (150g)
- 2 teaspoons (10g) extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon (2g) kosher salt
- Place saffron and water in a cup. Allow to sit for 15 minutes.
- Add saffron water, whole eggs, egg yolks, oil and salt into a KitchenAid mixer or mixing bowl.
- If using a KitchenAid, use your dough hook at set it to speed 2.
- Slowly add flour one spoonful at a time.
- Once the dough starts to form, remove it from the mixing bowl and place on a floured surface.
- Using your hands, bring the dough together by folding it in on itself, incorporating all of the dry ingredients.
- Using the heel of your hand, knead the dough for five minutes.
- Cover with plastic wrap or place in a plastic bag and place in the refrigerator for one hour.
- Remove from refrigerator and your pasta dough is ready to roll!
When you’re ready to roll and shape your pasta dough, click here to watch Chef Kieron and his son, Henry, show you how to do it! We recommend this pasta machine for rolling your dough: