JOB LISTING | DEXTER, MI
Cornman Farms Event Supervisor
8540 Island Lake Rd
Dexter, MI, USA 48130
All hourly employees are also eligible to participate in a shared tip pool.
Full Time Regular
About Zingerman’s Cornman Farms
Zingerman’s Cornman Farms is a multi-award winning and nationally renowned wedding venue and culinary destination. Cornman Farms hosts effortlessly elegant events tailored to each and every guest. Our unparalleled service, bespoke experiences, and meticulous attention to the smallest details create unforgettable moments for life’s most important occasions. We make the farm feel like home—a place that adds foundation to memories and provides a cornerstone to come back to.
We are looking for a passionate, extremely focused individual with a strong work ethic who wants to become an integral member of the Cornman Farms Team. This individual will be responsible for ensuring event details are set up correctly and the property is always clean and guest ready.
- Do you love organization and details?
- Do you want to give a seamless great event experience to our guests?
- Do you enjoy being active?
If you answered yes to all of these questions, keep reading! This just might be the job for you!
The event staff are responsible for delivery of the Cornman Farms experience to all Guests and the Cornman Farms Team and deliver first impressions to everyone who comes on property.
Zingerman’s Cornman Farms Supervisors (which we call Porter Coaches) guide our crew to greatness and push for perfection through continuous improvement, visual management and waste elimination to support staff for our amazing events!
This is a year round, full time position focusing on continually improving our systems and ensuring a consistent result. You will work alongside our event porters to ensure they have the tools they need to do their jobs and make it easier for them to always do the right thing.
Days and Nights, Weekends, Flexible hours required
Opening shifts could be as early as 6am; closing shifts could go as late as 2am.
$17 per hour.
This position is eligible to participate in a shared tip pool.
- Facilitate implementation and improvement of practices throughout the Porter Team
- Serve as a champion for Lean work, partnering with Managing Partners to train, communicate, standardize and sustain continuous improvement, visual management and waste elimination
- Improve Team’s decision making and facilitate conflict resolution
- Motivate and coach the Team to operational success
- Develop and build a culture of engagement across the business to provide a highly energized team which is flexible to meet the changing needs of the business
- Consistently promote high standards through personal example so that each Staff Member understands the standards and behaviours expected of them
- Check-in with each Porter as they arrive to work, provide encouragement and direction for the days tasks
- Monitor the completion of tasks, ensure good performance and record on appropriate systems
- Evaluate performance of Porter Team and redirect behaviors when necessary
- Identify and assist in resolving any issues that might occur during a shift or event
- Develop clearly defined deliverables for Lean in accordance with the company’s scorecard system and engage Staff in Lean activity planning and execution.
- Build strong and positive working relationships with other departments, including them in the improvement activities and understanding their needs
- Provide feedback directly to Porters and to Managing Partners
- Conduct all business in accordance with Zingerman’s Guiding Principles
- Demonstrate a commitment to the success of the business and Team Members
- Ensure opening and closing Porter Standard Operating Procedures are followed accurately
- Manage inventory counts and oversee kanban ordering system for china, glassware and silverware
- Ensure that business improvement projects are completed to schedule and deliver business benefits including tangible financial savings, safety improvements, reduced business risk and/or improved customer satisfaction
- Develop continuous improvement plans/road maps for projects and areas of accountability
- Maintain a clean, organized and stocked environment
- Demonstrate proper handling and storage of cleaning equipment and food service equipment
- Work with the team to ensuring the property is “Guest ready” before an event and “Close ready” at the end of the day/night
- Act as a process engineer by following, improving and creating Standard Operating Procedures (SOP’s)
- Maintain a safe and sanitary work environment, as well as ensuring specifications are met for health inspections
- Give exceptional service to all Guests, vendors and Staff at our events
- Respond quickly to requests from Guests, Co-workers, Supervisors and Managers while being accurate, polite and enthusiastic
- Maintain a professional image at all times through actions and appearance
- Dishwash using automatic dishwashing machine and 3 compartment sink
- Assist with managing inventory of all rental items – including storage, distribution, and cleaning
- Assist in cleaning the property inside and out, including bathrooms and sweeping and mopping floors
- Move rental items as needed
- Farming, gardening and light maintenance
- Attend and participate in huddles (meetings) as required or needed
- Corporate Events, Private Dining, Farmhand Programs & Offsite Catering Responsibilities
The Success Patterns for this position are:
- Strong people management and leadership skills
- Ability to coach, counsel and develop and train people
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Experience working in food service, events or a coach role is a plus
- Ability to work weekends and holidays
- Has a flexible schedule
- Ability to work in all weather conditions (rain, snow, etc.)
- Has reliable transportation to and from work
- Reports to work on time for all shifts and follows proper call-in procedures when necessary
- Works independently and is reviewed infrequently with minimal supervision
- Self-supervising within the guidance and expectations of divisional management
- Communicate with clarity and demonstrate excellence in approach to work and people activities
- Excellent organization skills
- Must have high levels of mobility, flexibility, dexterity, coordination and energy
- Must be able do the essential functions of the job for long periods of time and work under heavy stress during busy times
- Must be able to bend, stoop, and navigate a variety of terrain on the property
- Must be able to lift at least 50 lbs.
Successful Candidates will have the following Personal Characteristics
- Has excellent communication skills
- Ability to thrive in a physically demanding, fast-paced environment
- Ability to set and meet priorities
- Ability to effectively manage emotions in the workplace
- Ability to accept constructive criticism regarding job performance
- Excellent attendance and punctuality
- Has a reputation for maintaining excellent relations with all levels of Staff
- Is able to follow directions in the moment, under time pressure, with a positive attitude
- Demonstrated ability to understand organized systems and work in an organized workspace
One of the best things about working at Corman Farms is the community. You work with some of the most amazing people you will ever meet and learn so much while doing so. It is also one of the most beautiful event spaces I have ever been to.Current kitchen porter
MANAGING PARTNERS KIERON HALES & TABITHA MASON WROTE THIS PICTURE OF SUCCESS IN 2017. WE SHARE IT HERE TO GIVE YOU A GLIMPSE INTO WHO WE ARE AND WHAT IS IMPORTANT TO US.
“The sun is shining and the air is crisp – a beautiful day at Cornman Farms. It has been over 10 years now since the first event was held at the farm. We relish our decade of memories, recalling the joy and wonder our many guests and employees have experienced: First taking in our manicured lawn and lovingly restored red barn (so welcoming against the green farm backdrop), smelling the rich soil as it’s tilled in preparation for planting season, reveling in the peals of laughter from generations of family playing lawn games together, the wonder of the first time really feeling the heft of a ripe heirloom tomato or the wooly caress of a sheep.
It’s this poetry of the senses that first communicates we are different (real!) and the delight of this discovery is immediate and intense. To us, this is part of providing the Zingerman’s experience. Our connection with our guests extend beyond the event or the day itself. We are a part of the memories being made and they have become part of our family and we part of theirs.
Employees, Partners and guests alike respect the roots that have been here for decades and we are all thrilled to be able to plant our own. Coming to Cornman Farms is like coming home.”