We are so excited to share Cornman Farms' signature basil pesto recipe!
One of the best parts about summertime on the property is the bounty of fresh herbs growing in the Chef’s Garden. One of our favorite ways to spruce up a lazy summertime meal is to add a dollop of pesto. You can add it to pasta, salads, eggs, sandwiches and more.
Try the recipe below or pick some of ours up at Zingerman’s Creamery in Ann Arbor!
- Blender, Vitamix or Food Processor
- Basil, 4 cups firmly packed leaves
- Garlic, 4 cloves
- Pine Nuts, 1/3 cup (lightly toasted)
- Olive Oil, 1 cup
- Salt, 1 tsp
- Pepper, 1/2 tsp
- Parmigiano Reggiano, 1 cup (finely grated)
- Cider Vinegar, 1 tsp
- Anchovies, 2 (optional)
- In a blender, Vitamix or food processor, combine the oil and garlic.
- Once garlic is well chopped, remove half of the mixture and put it aside.
- Add salt, pepper and cider vinegar to the blender bowl. (You can also add anchovies at this point if desired.)
- Add 1/2 of the basil and blend until the basil is well incorporated. Continue to blend for a further 20 seconds.
- Add the second half of the basil. As you mix on full speed, slowly add the reserved garlic and oil mixture.
- Add the pine nuts and blend until well-incorporated, then continue for an additional 20 seconds.
- Remove pesto from blender and put into a mixing bowl. Fold in the parmigiano reggiano.
- Salt to taste and chill until use.
For greener pesto, blanch the basil leaves, ice and drain prior to making the pesto!
Here are the materials we recommend for this recipe: