Unless you are from the U.K., you’ve likely never had roast potatoes quite like this. Chef Kieron shows us the English way to make roast potatoes and the results are impossibly fluffy on the inside and exceedingly crunchy on the outside. Typically, these would be served alongside a big roast, Yorkshire pudding, and vegetable sides, but Chef Kieron says these are just as good for breakfast as they are for a Sunday roast.
Here are a few of our favorite kitchen tools for this recipe:
Follow along with Chef Kieron’s video tutorial of this recipe:
- 1 teaspoon (5g) baking soda
- 2 teaspoons (6g) kosher salt
- 2 sprigs thyme
- 1 sprig rosemary
- 2 each (7g) garlic cloves
- ½ teaspoon (0.75g) ground black pepper
- 2 each (650g) Green Mountain or Idaho potatoes
- 1 Tablespoon (25g) red wine vinegar
- 1 ½ teaspoon (8g) Worcestershire sauce
- ½ Stick (60g) butter
- 2 tablespoon (40g) light olive oil
- Pinch of sea salt
- Pinch of black pepper
- Pinch of nutmeg
- Preheat oven to 450F.
- Wash, peel and cut potatoes into 1 inch (25g) cubes.
- In a medium pot, add garlic cloves, thyme, rosemary, black pepper, salt, baking soda and cubed potatoes.
- Add cold water to the pot until potatoes are fully covered.
- Place the pot on your stove over medium heat and bring to a simmer.
- Cook potatoes until tender (about 15 minutes). You should feel slight resistance in the center when testing with a knife.
- Line a sheet tray with parchment paper or a silicon mat.
- Remove potatoes from heat, strain and place on the lined sheet tray.
- Allow potatoes to air dry for 10 minutes. Meanwhile, mix red wine vinegar and Worcestershire sauce in a small bowl.
- Drizzle mixture over potatoes and place in oven for 10 minutes.
- Take potatoes out and allow to cool about 10 minutes, until the tray is no longer hot to touch.
- Place potatoes in the fridge to fully cool (about 20 minutes). (This is optional, if you are in a rush you can skip this step!)
- While potatoes are cooling, in a small pot melt butter and combine with oil.
- Once potatoes are fully cooled, remove from the fridge and place in a large bowl.
- Sprinkle potatoes with butter mixture, salt, black pepper and nutmeg.
- Mix gently with your hands until all potatoes are fully coated.
- Place potatoes back on the sheet tray and raise your oven temperature to 500F. Place in oven for 15 minutes.
- Remove from the oven once potatoes are golden brown.
- Test a potato to make sure the seasoning is to your liking. You can always add a bit more salt, pepper & ground nutmeg.
- Serve and enjoy!