Chef Kieron Hales shares his recipe for no bake chocolate fridge cake, otherwise known as tiffin! This simple, no-bake recipe leaves room for lots of improvisation (that’s right, you can pick and choose the ingredients you like best!) and is a perfect way to have fun with kids in the kitchen.
- 2 cups (300g) dark chocolate
- ¾ cup (75g) mixed nuts
- 1 stick (120g) unsalted butter
- 1 cup (150g) dried fruit
- ¼ cup (90g) honey
- 6 (30g) maraschino cherries
- 16 (250g) digestive biscuits or graham crackers
- ½ teaspoon (0.5g) vanilla extract
- (150g) alcohol (we like whiskey, creme de cassis and cointreau)
Alternate Kid-Friendly Filling Ingredients:
- 1 cup (70g) mini marshmallows
- 2 (29g) KitKat bars
- 7 (118g) cookies of choice
- 8 (62g) vanilla wafers
- 10 (74g) Oreo cookies
- Sprinkles to top
- Use cling film to line a 9 inch, shallow cake pan. Make you have a large enough piece of cling film that it can hang over the sides.
- Melt chocolate, butter, and honey in a heatproof bowl. Set the bowl over a pan of simmering water to melt the chocolate and butter. Stir occasionally.
- Add your chosen filling ingredients into a plastic bag.
- Using a rolling pin, bash the biscuits into pieces.
- Remove the bowl of chocolate from the heat and stir in the broken filling ingredients.
- Spoon the mixture into the tin. Level the surface by pressing it down.
- Once cool, put in the fridge for 1 to 2 hours to set.
- Turn out the cake and peel off the cling film. Cut the cake into 12 squares and enjoy!