Let’s learn to make Chef Kieron’s signature chocolate fondant cake recipe, otherwise known as chocolate lava cake! This rich, chocolatey dessert recipe is cakey on the outside and gooey in the center. It’s the perfect surprise for your loved one this Valentine’s Day, and you can make it easily in under an hour! This recipe makes six cakes in 4oz ramekins or pudding moulds.
- 11 tbsp (158g) salted butter
- 3 tbsp (20g) cocoa powder
- 1 cup (143g) Valrhona chocolate 70% cacao
- 3 (156g) whole eggs
- 2 (40g) egg yolks
- ½ cup (70g) sugar
- 5 tbsp (42g) all-purpose flour
- Heavily butter the inside of the pudding moulds or ramekins with 1 tbsp (15g) of butter.
- Add a large spoonful of cocoa powder into the mould. Tip the mould so the powder completely coats the butter. Tap any excess cocoa back into the jar, then repeat with the next mould.
- Place the remaining butter and chocolate on to a double boiler (a.k.a. a bowl over simmering water) and occasionally mix until fully melted and combined.
- Whisk eggs, egg yolks and sugar together.
- Add melted chocolate to the egg mixture and whisk until combined.
- Fold in the flour with a whisk and combine until there are no lumps remaining.
- Pour mixture into each mould.
- Place in the oven at 350F degrees for 12 minutes.
- Serve with whipped cream or ice cream.